Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm A Sucker


So I'm hurting inside. Last Friday I learned that my application to the Google Teacher Academy was rejected. Three teachers from our district applied for one of the 50 slots and all three were denied. I really wanted this opportunity. I mean at first I was indifferent, but then I really wanted in. I wanted to be inside the fishbowl, learning from the Google Masters and sharing my newfound knowledge and expertise with friends and colleagues. But now I won't get that chance. Now I'm just jilted applicant "#2038." Strangely though, since being given the cold Google shoulder, I find myself more aware of Google applications than ever. I'm gobbling them up like salty cashews. Google is so much more than a search engine or a calendar. And in the coming weeks, I'll share with you what I've learned... since the fateful day that my GTA application was filed in Google's database under "S" for Shred or perhaps "I" for Incinerate. In the meantime, take a look at the video I produced for the application. It required some soul searching, which I haven't done in a while. And it feels good. So thanks Google, for the opportunity. Really. I hope we can still be friends.

1 comment:

taraobrien said...

Paul, I LOVE the video you sent in! I attended the Google Teaching Academy two/three years ago with someone from your district...did you really apply? I had to make that 60 second video as well...you are the person who taught me how to turn on a mac that first year at 7. That makes you my Mac mentor ; ) I just "googled" my application video. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8616496343000271816&ei=RoqOSrOpIInzlQfc66iCCA&q=innovation+at+PS+7
Anyway, saw your post and thought I'd share...hope all is well. LOVE the baby pics!!!!!